93-Year-Old Delray Beach, Florida Assisted Living Resident Dies After Swallowing Detergent

A Delray Beach, Fl assisted living facility may face a $10,000 fine for not securing its kitchen properly after a 93-year-old Alzheimer’s patient accidentally swallowed dishwasher detergent.  The state agency is investigating this tragic event, and this facility has been cited in the past for not securing the kitchen.

Two staff members who were on duty were caring for another resident when the 93-year-old, who was in the late stages of Alzheimer’s, went in to a satellite kitchen in the centers dementia unit.  After drinking the dishwasher detergent, he was discovered by staff members who called 911, but the elderly man died 18 hours later following paramedics and doctors attempts to save him.

The Delray Beach facility claims it did nothing wrong, and that there was no way they could have known a tragedy like this would happen.  Reports show that previously the facility had been cited for not securing several areas properly from these types of residents, including the laundry room and beauty salon.  It was also noted that dangerous items that could potentially injure a resident such as hot curling irons, chemical products and a hot coffee pot were not secured and accessible by residents.

This death was totally unnecessary, and illustrates the negligence of administration staff in not following through with recommendations made when a state inspection takes place.  Apparently, administrators were not motivated to correct the problems that were cited in reports.  Assisted living and nursing home facility administrators should be held accountable for their negligent actions (or lack thereof), so that senseless deaths like this do not occur.

If you fear that your loved one is being neglected or abused in a nursing home, contact a compassionate personal injury lawyer to learn what action you may need to take.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *